Theology of the Body II: Into the Deep Course (Online)
March 1-12, 2021
Taught by Christopher West
Although the in-person TOB II: Into the Deep Course experience is the optimal transformational encounter with TOB with the celebration of the Sacraments, daily prayer, and interactions with the instructor and your fellow students, we pray that this online course will give you a foundational encounter with the content of our in-person TOB II: Into the Deep Course.
The Theology of the Body II course builds upon and advances the material presented in TOB I, revisiting the Wednesday audience addresses for more in-depth study ("into the deep"). As in TOB I, we will journey through the cycles of the catechesis as outlined by Pope Saint John Paul II. Hence, the structure and many of the concepts will be familiar, but we will be focusing our attention on those sections of the catechesis not covered in Theology of the Body I (see comparative outlines in both the TOB I and TOB II study guides). We will pay particular attention to the "hidden" addresses on the Song of Songs and the marriage of Tobias and Sarah. These ten unabridged and undelivered talks represent one of the most important sections of the catechesis.
Required: Christopher West, Heaven's Song (Ascension, 2008)
Suggested: John Paul II, Man & Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body (Pauline, 2006)
Suggested: Christopher West, Theology of the Body Explained (revised edition; Pauline, 2007)
How Does the Online Course Work?
- TOB I: Head and Heart Immersion is a prerequisite for TOB II: Into the Deep. If you have not yet completed TOB I through the TOB Institute, please do not register for this online version of TOB II.
- Registrants for this online TOB2 course, will receive access to a filmed version of our in-person 5-day TOB2 course and a digital course workbook from March 1-12, 2021.
- Each video session is complete with the resources used in the course, as well as directions for helping to make this online course, not only intellectually stimulating, but also spiritually fruitful.
- You can watch the pre-recorded videos on your own schedule. There is about 30 hours of video to watch, though, so plan to watch at least two hours per day.
- There will be live group Q&A sessions provided during that two-week period for all students who wish to participate. Christopher West, Bill Donaghy, or Jen Settle will host the live sessions. These group sessions will be recorded for those students who cannot make the designated times and will be accessible through the online course portal.
- Students who wish to attend another course with the TOB Institute or enter into the TOB Institute Certification Program, must watch all of the videos and complete a multiple choice exam at the end of the course. A passing grade of 80% is required for the exam.